It’s a bit past 4am where I am right now and I feel anything but sleepy. March is coming to a close, and soon we will be welcoming back the bugs that came along with the warmer weather. I feel kind of sad, but mostly glad, that the temperature is finally returning and that school is coming to an end. I guess the thing I like best about blogging is that the purpose of each post is as much as you make it. I like how I have free reign over what I’m writing, how I’m able to control the words on the page and freely post this on a platform where anyone with the website title can read. This month has been a handful: super busy, but somehow keeping everything in check. College really matures you and makes you think in a different perspective and sometimes I wonder if I would be any different if I didn’t experience the things that I did in college. I wonder if I would be more willing to take risks and less afraid of what other people thought of me. College really makes you aware and self-conscious; it’s like that first time you come out of the cozy shell you’ve called home for the past 18 or so years, and faced living life straight on, with no support or help.
I don’t even know what I’m writing about…just a rant in the midst of exams, problem sets, and a heap of other stuff.
I kind of want to do a monthly favorite music post from now on, because I think it’ll be interesting to see what came out and when.
- In this month, Red Velvet released their new, “red” concept single titled Rookie. It is kind of weird when you first listen to it, but I can imagine it becoming another one of those songs that will get stuck in your head for a long time. (Update: I like this song a lot.)
- I am still listening to Yes No Maybe by Suzy, which I really enjoy. Sadly, the rest of Korea doesn’t feel the same. Still really like Pretend a lot! I feel like I can relate to it the more I listen to it.
- Also, still listening to the Goblin drama OST, because it’s so good! I feel like I’m in a movie when I listen to it. Love Stay With Me especially, and getting a little bit tired of the other songs at the moment.
- Got into a Zion.T sort of phase; just mainly listening to his music while doing homework since I feel like I have barely enough time to do anything else. 🙂 It’s nice and relaxing. He also released OO, his new album, late January or early February I believe.
- Love Is More Than Separation by Soyou and Junggigo. I actually like this song better than Some these days, because I haven’t heard it as much and I like the harmonies of their voices together.
- So My First and Last by my current favorite boy “group”, NCT Dream, came out today (February 8th) and I love it so much!! It’s so happy and the music video is so quality.
- Not K-pop, but I’ve been getting into TFBoys, especially since they remind me of NCT dream. Their songs are so peppy and a change from the normal Korean music that I always listen to.
- Aliee’s song for the drama Goblin, I Will Go to You Like the First Snow, was really nice this month! When I felt overwhelmed or just tired from the day, I could just slowly walk back to my dorm listening to this song.
- Taeyeon also came out with an album this month, but I haven’t gotten the chance to give it a proper listen, so I will have to do that sometime. Her single, Fine, isn’t really my jam at the moment, but I might grow to like it after a couple proper listens.
- TWICE and BTS both came out this month, which was met with a lot of hype. I think these groups will really represent the trends of K-pop for a couple more years to come. Their songs Knock Knock and Not Today, respectively, are pretty good. I really liked Knock Knock at the first listen, but now that I’m learning the dance to it, I’m starting to like it less and less…And sadly I’m not a huge BTS fan.
- I almost forgot about Soyou’s and Baekhyun’s duet, Rain. I was really anticipating this song! But sadly the chorus was a bit weird and something was missing in my opinion. Would still listen to this song though.
- The last song I’ve been listening to is not a song that was recently released. It’s Jessica’s That Person, You. A friend from my Korean class suggested that song to me and I could really relate to the lyrics.
Anyway, that’s pretty much it for the month of Feburary 2017! I actually really enjoyed doing this because I saw how long the month really was and how many songs were released that I enjoyed. I was actually surprised because I thought the month went by so quickly, but so many great songs were released. Anyway, hopefully I’ll be able to continue this series of “what is currently coming out/songs that I am currently enjoying”.
“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. “
Sometimes I sit in class and wonder if I’m even really sitting in class, grasping material, and doing assignments. I feel like I am so overwhelmed this semester with all of the classes I have to take and all the assignments they give out. On the bright side, I drink coffee a lot more these days.
I guess if you take a step back from all the work you have to do, it makes you wonder why you made your body get up at 8 in the morning, just to sit and listen to an old guy talk about words on a screen. If you can’t tell, I’m sitting in physics lecture, and the lecturer’s voice is sort of zoning out to the background; he’s currently talking about a styrofoam ball with sticks on it. I’m really confused and bored by the fact that our physics teacher keeps trying to show us stuff; I really need to start reading the textbook.
College really makes you a different person from the type of person. In high school I had so much time to waste on nonproductive things like YouTube and Dramafever.
Now my life feels like a train wreck. When your life feels like it’s falling apart, I sometimes like to think about it in another way. Think about your life as a story that has already been written and is just waiting for you to live it. When thinking from that third person point of view, it makes me feel more at ease (totally stole this from drama Another Oh Haeyoung).
This post was inspired by physics lecture and 2am desires to not shower. Never imagined how busy I would get these days.